Certificate in Addiction Studies
Merchants Quay Ireland is now offering a 12-week Certificate in Addiction Studies, commencing September 2018 to November 2018. The programme is designed to equip students with the necessary skills, knowledge and theory to respond more effectively to the issues of drug use and addiction. The course is for anyone with a serious interest in the area of substance use and who interacts in either a paid or voluntary capacity with people who may have addiction problems.
The Certificate in Addiction Studies is scheduled to begin 14th September 2018 – 30th November and will run on a part-time basis Friday mornings 10am – 1pm.
- Become familiar with different psychoactive substances, common effects and distinctions between drug use, misuse, and drug dependence.
- Have developed an understanding of the principles and practices of harm reduction and their use as an intervention with problem drug use.
- Have gained an understanding of primary health care perspectives regarding problem drug use, particularly safe injecting techniques and the protocols that underpin it.
- Know the basics of modern pharmacological research and the effects of both legal and non-legal drugs on the brain and central nervous system.
- Have an appreciation of psycho-dynamic perspectives and be able to reflect on the role of unconscious processes in addiction.
- Be aware of the key decisions in terms of ethics, boundaries, and contracts that need to be addressed in structuring a helping relationship.
- Have gained a good understanding of Motivational Interviewing, its theoretical underpinnings, influence, and development.
- Will have achieved a level of competency in the core skills and be able to begin, maintain, and conclude a helping intervention.
- Have an understanding of the Wheel of Change and be able to situate the cycles of drug/alcohol use within its framework.
- Developed a proficiency in the areas of reflective listening, dealing with resistance/ambivalence, development of discrepancy, promoting client self efficacy, and working towards change.
How to Apply
Closing date for applications is Friday 25th May 2018.
For further information please contact Peter Kelly 01-524 0936 or email email@example.com.