Merchants Quay Ireland are looking to recruit a Part-time Health and Harm Reduction Case Worker to join their Health and Harm Reduction Service
Salary: €15,180 upwards dependent on experience
Contract: Contract of Indefinite Duration
Hours: Part-time, 19.5 hours per week
Location: Open Access Service, Merchants Quay, Dublin 8.
Job Title: Part time Health and Harm Reduction Case Worker – Open Access Services
Responsible to: The Head of Day Services through the Service Coordinator
Reporting to: Crisis and Case Management Coordinator
Responsible for: The delivery of health and harm reduction support services from Riverbank
Objective: To provide screening and treatment and cure to MQI clients suffering from chronic infection with hepatitis C. To effectively deliver MQI health and harm reduction services with a view to preventing re-infection and improving overall health, and in doing so to uphold the philosophy and working ethos of Merchants Quay Ireland
- In partnership with Heads of Service/Service Co-Ordinators, and as part of a multidisciplinary team support to clients experiencing homelessness and/or substance misuse problems, facilitate the delivery of health and harm reduction supports to MQI service users with a particular focus on clients vulnerable to blood borne viruses.
- To encourage clients to be screened for blood borne virus infections (Hepatitis C, Hepatitis B and HIV).
- In collaboration with medical staff, HSE, ICORN etc to facilitate and encourage on-site point of care (POC) testing for hepatitis C virus infection.
- In collaboration with medical staff, HSE, ICORN etc to facilitate and encourage antiviral treatment for hepatitis C virus. This is typically 8-12 weeks of once a day tablets. Clients may need assistance with getting treatment and monitoring to ensure they are not lost to follow up during this critical treatment period.
- Assisting medical staff etc in confirming end of treatment response (i.e. blood test 12 weeks after treatment) to ensure clients achieve cure
- To develop links and build effective working relationships with the appropriate statutory and voluntary agencies to ensure access to services for the client group using MQI services, so they can access diagnosis and treatment.
- To work within the Crisis and Case Management service; supporting all aspects of the service and rotating within the service as communicated by the Service Coordinator.
- To work with all clients of the Open Access Service as needed in conjunction with external and internal agencies to develop comprehensive care plans and move on goals.
- To address the needs of our clients by effectively building relationships and working in partnership with other services within and outside of MQI.
- In order to support the presenting needs of clients, to manage relationships with external agencies and partners of the health and harm reduction service – with a particular focus on Hep C assessment and treatment. These agencies including St James Hospital, other hospitals as required, GP’s, researchers, other health professionals in homeless and drug services.
- To liaise with the appropriate external services, statutory and voluntary and the Head of Day Services regarding clinical governance issues and to engage with the management team, GP’s and staff regarding clinical governance policy and practice.
- To work closely with all staff working in Open Access.
- To assist medical and clinical professionals and project workers who are addressing the health issues of clients in crisis or as part of an on-going care plan.
- Monitor and support staff case management ensuring that all relevant documentation is completed, and that links are being made with the appropriate internal and external services, while ensuring that a consistently high standard of care plans, key working, assessments and referrals are being carried out in line with the aims of the service.
- To contribute actively to appropriate fora (team meetings, case conferences, and multidisciplinary meetings) in identifying, planning and addressing the health needs of our clients.
- To deliver training to staff on topics related to health and harm reduction e.g. specific illness related to blood borne viruses, diagnosis and treatment regimes, prevention and harm reduction, and onward referrals
- To assist with any incidents and emergencies which occur within the service particularly related to clients with health issues. Ensuring that they are brought to a satisfactory conclusion within the framework of MQI policies and to record details of such incidents as appropriate.
- To ensure that assessments are carried out and individual care plans are devised and regularly reviewed by staff in consultation and agreement with the service users.
- In collaboration with the management team, to support and liaise with external agencies on specific projects e.g. research, conference presentations.
- To ensure a safe and secure environment and maintain high standards of care for clients and staff alike.
- To assist the Service Coordinator in the ongoing development of appropriate staffing structures and service policies and procedures to enable a high-quality service delivery to service users.
- To undertake an ongoing review/assessment of care practices in response to client needs.
- To participate in service reviews and evaluations and to implement any changes arising from such work.
- To formulate a care plan (or to work within an existing care plan) in consultation with the client and project worker along with other relevant professionals such as partner homeless and addiction services, GP, or community health team.
- To oversee the health welfare of service users and ensure that their needs are attended to with sensitivity and efficiency.
- To regularly engage with and build a professional relationship with clients treating them with respect and ensure that values of MQI are upheld.
- To work with homeless and drug-using clients to ensure that they are linked in with the appropriate supports e.g. needle exchange or case work.
- Building supportive relationships across the MQI services for our clients with health needs.
- To ensure that the practical needs of the service users are met, in consultation with the clients and with the support of the staff team.
- To when, and wherever possible, involve and include service users in the ongoing development of the service and to have their participation built into service plans when feasible.
- To provide a high standard of service ensuring client satisfaction as it pertains to MQI and its Charter of Rights including a prompt resolution to complaints within a specific timeframe.
- To implement service policy and procedures in conjunction with the team to ensure appropriate service delivery.
- To provide support, supervision and performance appraisal to the staff, volunteers and placements within the OAS service as required
- To assess the training and development needs of the staff that you supervise and to input to the annual training plan to be agreed with the Head of Day Services.
- To assist in the recruitment and interviewing of staff and volunteers in conjunction with your line manager where appropriate.
- Produce standard monthly and quarterly reports to the Head of Day Services/Executive Team in terms of them responding to funding agencies and to compile any ad hoc information requests relating to your service area which might be required by the Executive.
- The collection of data and production of relevant statistics and reports to inform the Executive Team and key stakeholders of the activities and treatment outcomes for service users of the health service.
- To complete all administrative tasks such as report writing, collation of statistics maintenance of accurate records, up to date client case notes, relevant form filling in order to ensure that the service runs smoothly, safely and effectively.
- To ensure that accurate and up-to-date records are kept by recording accurate and relevant information onto any appropriate forms, daybooks, client files and computer-based client databases (e.g. SUSHI).
- To adhere to GDPR requirements in relation to all appropriate paperwork and filing and storage of relevant data.
- To communicate effectively in general and to maintain appropriate accountability to the Head of Day Services and the Executive Team.
- To ensure that you have a clear understanding of all MQI policies and procedures and of the requirements of legislation, procedures and regulations governing our services.
- To work within the policies, procedures and guidelines of MQI in order to ensure a consistent delivery of a high-quality service and to actively contribute to the continued development of policies and standards related to the health and harm reduction service
- To be up to date on recent developments, best practice and quality standards in the context of delivery of health and harm reduction services to clients.
- To participate in internal and external meetings, training events and other functions as required
- To have a flexible approach to the work in response to organisational change, development and review of best practice
- Reporting to the Service Coordinator or Lead for individual support, supervision, performance appraisal and working within the parameters of the MQI HR and H&S policies and procedures.
- To ensure that Health & Safety standards are maintained in accordance with the H&S Statement of MQI and to attend H&S Committee Meetings.
- Manage the delivery of the all day to day operational functions of the health and harm reduction service
- In conjunction with the Service Coordinator and lead, continuously develop the role to ensure that all tasks are being undertaken in an effective and appropriate manner which meets the strategic aims and objectives of Merchant’s Quay Ireland.
- To adhere to MQI’s Health and Safety Policy & Procedures and to be vigilant to any Health, Safety and Welfare risks in the workplace and bring any concerns to the attention of your line manager.
- To work as part of a team with regular and consistent communication participating actively in all team meetings and supporting the ethos.
- To undertake any other duties which the Head of Day Services/Service Co-Ordinator/Lead might reasonably request.
- Relevant QQI Third Level 7 social care or similar discipline qualification and a minimum two years’ experience of working within low threshold services, working directly with clients using a case management approach.
- Substance misuse knowledge/harm reduction, suicide and self-harm awareness.
- Understanding of the health issues faced by service users – particularly those related to blood borne viruses
- Demonstrable skills and knowledge in assessing risk presented by clients to themselves and others.
- Ability to deliver a range of services in a person centred, non-judgemental manner.
- Proven track record in/ability in managing incidents of verbal and violent aggression.
- Awareness of current legislation and policy that impacts and influences service delivery
- Proven verbal and written communication skills with the ability to tailor the message to the audience.
- Collaborative Teamwork.
- Able to work flexibly.
- Adaptable and able to work in a challenging and changeable environment
- Ability to deliver against agreed objectives and targets.
- Recognising the indicators of deteriorating physical health, discussing and agreeing the appropriate intervention to be proposed.
- Working with service users to promote recovery and a more independent lifestyle.
- Encouraging service users to recognise, understand and manage factors that affect their mental health wellbeing.
What does Merchants Quay Ireland offer as an employer?
- Fulfilling and Challenging work
- Competitive Salaries
- Sick Pay Scheme
- Flexible Working Arrangements
- Minimum 11.5 days Annual Leave
- Defined Contribution Pension Scheme (after 6 months)
- Death In Service (from commencement of employment)
- Line Management Supervision
- Learning and Development Programme
- Group VHI Scheme
- Paid Family Leave (Maternity, Paternity, Parental, Adoptive, Force Majeure and Compassionate Leave)
- Educational Assistance (Study and Examination Leave, Scholarship Foundation)
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- Health & Wellness Programme
If you are interested in applying for this position please complete the application form attached to this advertisement and send with an updated copy of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing date of 5pm on Thursday 25th November.
Please ensure to include ‘Application for PT Health and Harm Reduction Case Worker – in the subject line of your email and within your application form. Your application may not be considered if this is missing.