Registered Mental Health Nurse
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the direction of the Health Lead and Health & Harm Reduction Coordinator, the Mental Health Nurse will:
Practice nursing according to:
- The Professional Code of Conduct as laid down by the Nursing Board (NMBI) and Professional Clinical Guidelines.
- Local policies, protocols and guidelines.
- Current legislation as it applies to the role.
- Assess, plan, implement and evaluate individualised service user, person centred care programmes within an agreed framework, in accordance with best practice and grounded recent evidence informed nursing research.
- Develop and maintain close links with the service users and their families ensuring a partnership approach
- Maintain accurate and appropriate written records and reports regarding service user care in accordance with local and national guidelines.
- Foster a philosophy of care that reflect the Merchants Quay ethos and service commitment to quality, using an evidence informed approach, in a safe environment maintaining the dignity of service users.
- Act as an advocate for service users and their family, provide information to empower them in decision making, goal setting and problem solving in order optimise their chance of recovery.
- Participate in the development of protocols and guidelines, and the setting of professional nursing standards.
- Be competent in relation to all relevant clinical procedures and policies.
- Participate in service audits and tasks as directed by Clinical Governance Committee.
- Contribute to, implement, monitor and review the development of risk assessments for service users.
- Have a working knowledge of The Mental Health Act as it applies to the role as well as an understanding of QUADS policies and The National Drug Strategy.
- The nurse must comply with the Code of Professional Conduct as laid down by NMBI. The nurse must work within their scope of practice and take measures to develop and maintain the competence necessary for professional practice.
- The nurse must be aware of ethical policies and procedures which pertain to their area of practice.
- Service users’ confidentiality must be maintained at all times.
EDUCATION & STAFF DEVELOPMENT
The Mental Health Nurse will:
- Participate in the planning and implementation of orientation and training programmes both for students and other staff within the service.
- Contribute to the identification of training needs pertinent to the service.
- Participate in the induction of new staff to the service and ensure the potential for all staff is identified and encouraged.
- Provide education and information to service users and their families as required.
- Take responsibility for own learning
- Continually review own performance and development needs to assist growth and professional development.
SERVICE SPECIFIC KEY ACOUNTABILITIES
To proactively deliver a high quality person centred service provision that meets the needs of the service users by:
- Promoting people’s rights and responsibilities.
- Working as an effective member of the team.
- Developing, in consultation with service users, flexible and achievable care plans which are person centred and adhere to agreed guidelines.
- Ensuring that a Recovery Approach is used when providing support to service users
- Ensuring a collaborative approach is used, with effective communication links with external professional groups e.g. GPs, CMHTs, Liaison Teams etc. and to work as an effective member of any Multi-Disciplinary Team.
- Provide support to service users who are in crisis using the latest evidence informed practice such as STORM and ASSIST
- Manage medications in line with NMBI guidelines
- Onward referral for service users as required and relevant to their identified goals
- Effectively manage a caseload of clients, working collaboratively to assist them through their recovery by delivering psychosocial interventions grounded in latest evidence based practice.
- Undertake responsibility for clinical risk and assessment needs and the formulation and implementation of management plans
- Recognising indicators of deteriorating mental health, acting appropriately and both internally and externally as required.
- Ensuring effective care pathways are provided to each service user.
- Planning and facilitating of group programmes and clinics for service users based on identified needs.
- Enabling service users, through education and raising awareness, to manage factors that affect their mental health.
The above job description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to them from time to time and to contribute to the development of post and service.
- The candidate must be registered in the Psychiatric Division of the Register of Nurses and Midwives maintained by the Nursing and Midwifery Board Ireland (NMBI) or be entitled to be so registered as of September 2019.
- Have the clinical and administrative capacity to properly discharge the functions of the role.
- Experience of managing a caseload of service users with complex needs.
- Understanding of the issues faced by service users with mental health and/or addiction issues.
- Experience of working within homeless sector.
Salary: €33,000 – €41,000 DOE
Hours: 39 Hours P/W
Days: Mon – Sun
Location: Riverbank Centre Merchants Quay Dublin 8
If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete the application form attached to this ad and email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of your up to date CV attached by 5pm Friday 12th June 2020. Please ensure to include this subject line in your email ‘Application for RPN Open Access‘. Ref OAS052003. Applications that do not have this title may fail to be shortlisted.
What does Merchants Quay Ireland offer as an employer?
- Fulfilling and Challenging work
- Competitive Salaries
- Sick Pay Scheme
- Flexible Working Arrangements
- Minimum 23 days Annual Leave
- Defined Contribution Pension Scheme (after 6 months)
- Death In Service (from commencement of employment)
- Line Management Supervision
- Learning and Development Programme
- Group VHI Scheme
- Paid Family Leave (Maternity, Paternity, Parental, Adoptive, Force Majeure and Compassionate Leave)
- Educational Assistance (Study and Examination Leave, Scholarship Foundation)
- Employee Assistance Programme(EAP)
- Health & Wellness Programme
Merchants Quay Ireland have the right to amend this job description at any time
Merchants Quay Ireland is an equal opportunities employer
This Position is subject to Garda Clearance