Heroin Addiction & its Effects
17th May 2019
10 a.m.—4 p.m.
MERCHANTS QUAY IRELAND
Are pleased to offer a workshop on Heroin Addiction for those in the addiction field or related areas looking to expand, refresh, and/or build upon their knowledge and competency base with this particular drug. The training will include learning in key areas such as the pharmacological mechanism of opiate drugs, the history of heroin, routes of transmission, heroin and its effects, heroin and harm reduction, opiate detoxification and withdrawals. In addition, the workshop will also explore primary health care perspectives in relation to heroin use with a particular emphasis on safe injecting interventions.This training is for anyone with a serious interest in the area of substance use and who interacts in either a paid or voluntary capacity with people who have addiction issues.
Title: Heroin Addiction—and its effects*
Course facilitator: Peter Kelly, Merchants Quay Ireland, Training Officer
Venue: The Carmelite Center
56 Aungier St
Schedule: 10 a.m.—4 p.m.
Eligibility: This training is for anyone who interacts on either a paid or a voluntary capacity in the area of problem drug use /addiction and has an interest in both the conscious and unconscious factors that underpin heroin use
How to apply: Course application forms are attached to this advertisement, and can also be got from Peter Kelly, Training Officer at Merchants Quay Ireland firstname.lastname@example.org or by contacting Peter at 01-5240936.
Closing Date: Closing date for receipt of application form is Friday 3rd May 2019
More Information: Scroll down for application form. For further information please contact Peter Kelly in Merchants Quay @ 01-5240936 and/or email: email@example.com
Heroin Addiction—and its Effects
* Have developed an understanding of heroin both as a drug in terms of its biochemical action and effects, and its pharmacological properties
* Have gained an overview of both the history of heroin and the Irish situation with regard to both prevalence and demographics.
* Explore both the physical and psychological effects of heroin use and the ways that harm re-duction strategies can be used to minimize harms
* Examine the routes of transmission, withdrawal effects, effects on pregnancy, heroin substi-tutes in terms of methadone and its efficacy.
* Have developed an understanding in terms of treatment interventions in relation to both primary health care, counselling and psychosocial interventions
Mr Peter Kelly MSc psychoanalytic Psychotherapy, Advanced Diploma in Supervision, BPh (Philosophy), Dip Social Studies, M.I. trainer, Reality Therapy, Certified is the Training Officer with Merchants Quay Ireland. Peter works in the area of addiction and substance misuse and has been involved in the provision of drug counselling and drug education for the past twenty years. His clinical background is psychoanalytic psychotherapy and he is an accredited member of both the A.C.I. (Addiction Counsellors of Ireland) and the Association of Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Ireland (A.P.P.I.). Peter is also trained in Motivational Approaches to problem drug use, and his areas of interest include both the role of the unconscious in addiction and how people manage and overcome addictive cycles.