Job Title: Full-time Nurse-Detox Services (36 hours a week)
Responsible to: Head of Recovery services through the Clinical nurse manager (CNM) and Clinical Lead
Responsible for: All the nursing duties related to the St Francis Farm Detox & Rehabilitation services (Tullow, Co Carlow)
Reports to: Clinical Lead
Objective: To effectively deliver services pertaining to the Residential Detox & Rehab services and in doing so to uphold the philosophy and working ethos of Merchants Quay Ireland.
Contract Type: Monday to Sunday
Contract of Indefinite duration
Main Responsibilities include:
- To perform all the nursing duties relating to admissions to ensure the immediate commencement, safe and regular monitoring of medical detox are carried out as per the admissions policy.
- To deliver a comprehensive and safe nursing practice from admission through to discharge of service user.
- To store, administer and control medical supplies for all clients at St Francis Farm in line with best practice and in keeping with Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI) guidelines.
- To assist the doctors when necessary with assessments and examinations in line with the policies of the unit.
- To effectively liaise with a range of service providers both voluntary and statutory in order to assist in the assessment of referrals to the unit.
- To liaise with, develop and maintain relationships with multidisciplinary teams, addiction services, internal services at interagency and intra-agency level in order to enhance the range of services and programmes that promote health and social gain for clients.
- To contribute actively to appropriate fora in identifying, planning and addressing needs of the homeless person in a holistic fashion.
- To perform the practical tasks of caring for the service users including activities of daily living, health education and promotion, physical, emotional and psychological wellbeing.
- To carry out nursing assessments in conjunction with the project worker and project team, to review and regularly update care plans.
- To contribute actively to policies and procedures and guidelines that relate to nursing duties and the detox unit.
- To work within the policies of Merchants Quay Ireland in order to ensure that a consistent delivery of service and quality standards are adhered to in an alcohol and drug free environment.
- To perform as a full team member supporting colleagues, participating in effective handovers and being open to reasonable requests from the clinical lead in order to ensure effective working relationships.
- To compile presentations and to facilitate health education and recovery focused groups (e.g. SMART Recovery & Hep C information) in order to ensure that service users receive relevant information for making informed decisions about their future.
- To encourage and contribute to the integration of learning and development programmes in the addiction services.
- To work closely with colleagues including fellow Nurses, Project workers and Volunteers to promote a healthy and safe environment for all residents, staff and visitors.
- To work in accordance with relevant nursing legislation and fulfil the duty of care in the course of practice
- To work within the scope of practice and competence as set by the NMBI and consult with other health care professionals when service user problems fall outside the scope of nursing practice
- To carry out comprehensive assessments of service users, analyse data and present client information to the clinical team.
- To provide evidence-based nursing care service.
- To formulate a care plan in consultation with service user, project worker and visiting GPs.
- To triage clients, identify expected outcomes and document care, liaise with the in-house GP’s and implement planned medical and nursing care.
- To act to enhance the dignity and integrity of service users by applying strategies to promote self-esteem, including identifying and using appropriate support networks.
- To engage in clinical support and supervision in accordance with good nursing practice.
- To work as part of a team and actively encourage this ethos among the clients.
- To complete all administrative tasks such as report writing, maintenance of accurate nursing and medical records, up to date client case notes, relevant form filling in order to ensure that the unit runs smoothly, safely and effectively
- To ensure that accurate and up-to-date records are kept by recording accurate and relevant information onto any appropriate forms, daybooks, client files and computer-based client databases.
- To comply with the Clinical Lead’s requirements in relation to all appropriate paperwork and filing of data relevant to the service.
- To contribute to the collection of relevant statistics to inform key performance indicators.
- To attend all training sessions, workshops and courses as advised by the Clinical Lead.
- To actively engage with your Supervisor regarding one’s own personal/ professional needs in the context of being an effective nurse in St Francis Farm.
- Ensure compliance with MQI policies and procedures to ensure consistent safe delivery of service and maintenance of quality standards.
- Ensure compliance with all policies, procedures and guidelines and review these regularly and implement improvements based on best practice.
- To participate in supervision as per MQI guidelines.
- To continuously keep updated on professional issues and to attend courses and conferences as appropriate to the service.
- To assist with any other duties which the Manager might reasonably request.
The successful candidate for the role will have:
- Registered nurse with the NMBI.
- A minimum of 1 year of post qualification experience in a paid full-time capacity or part time equivalent.
- Experience in a detox or similar setting an advantage but full training will be given.
- A relevant qualification in the area of addiction studies / mental health would be an advantage.
- Capacity to develop positive relationships with clients and staff.
- Must be able to demonstrate proficient IT skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and a good knowledge of CRM system for reporting purposes.
- Good communication skills.
If you are interested in applying for this position please complete the application form attached to this advertisement and send with an updated copy of your CV to email@example.com before the closing date of 19th April 2022
Please ensure to include ‘Application for Full-time Nurse – Detox Services ’ in the subject line of your email. Applications not labelled correctly may fail to be shortlisted.
Management reserves the right to amend or change this job description as required.
This Position is subject to Garda Clearance